Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

1. Default Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Since there seems to be a wave of turbo mustangs popping up in Alberta lately, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread where we could share information on our experiences/dealings with the different turbo companies/kits out there.
    Brad S Taylor
    RE/MAX Realty Professionals
    Email: bradtaylor@realtybybrad.com
    Mobile: 403.703.1508
    Office: 403.259.4141

2. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

I purchased my 87-93 Dominator kit from PTK now PTS www.proturbokits.com.* I purchased my single turbo kit in Nov. of 2003. and received it in Mar of 04. The kit arrived on time and everything was packaged nicely. Total cost of my kit came to $5500.00 tax & shipping included.¬* This was for a T67S head unit and the optional 2000* high temp silver coating.

The kit was very well designed and we encountered zero problems with the install.* Everything fit nicely and the install went very smooth.* Go here to view the install [iurl=http://www.performance-shop.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17796.0]http://www.performance-shop.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17796.0[/iurl]

I've had the kit on my car for 2 years now with zero problems. I highly recommend their kits.

Brad

Brad S Taylor

3. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged‚ĄĘ

The kit was very well designed and ....[/iurl]
    The mass air meter plumbing is definately not well designed or optimal...

4. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomak
    The mass air meter plumbing is definately not well designed or optimal...
    True,¬* I have experienced some part throttle issues, whether the position of the MAF is the culprit or not is yet to be determined.¬* If a person was planning to go with a standalone, this would not be an issue.

Overall the kit works well.¬* Excellent Fit and finish would be the better term used to describe the kit.¬*

Because of the limitations/space for a single turbo setup, I cannot see a better alternative for a draw through setup.
    Brad S Taylor

Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Didn't the "h-pipe" have to be modified because it wouldn't connect to your catback setup?

Down pipe of the turbo was a bitch and ended up beign so close to the plug wires they would melt or it rattled on the frame rail. I think you guys ended up wrapping it too?

Didn't you have to cut alot more than was reccomended for the inlet off the turbo?

Not to knock PTK but I'm pretty sure these were some of the issues which are expected in my book, but a flawless kit? I doubt it.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!

6. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zahut
    Didn't the "h-pipe" have to be modified because it wouldn't connect to your catback setup?

Down pipe of the turbo was a bitch and ended up beign so close to the plug wires they would melt or it rattled on the frame rail. I think you guys ended up wrapping it too?

Didn't you have to cut alot more than was reccomended for the inlet off the turbo?

Not to knock PTK but I'm pretty sure these were some of the issues which are expected in my book, but a flawless kit? I doubt it.

Yes, good memory, I completely forgot about that, the Y-pipe needed modificitions in order for it to fit correctly to my aftermarket exhaust setup, this was a $300 fix.¬* The inlet was perfect, I opted for the larger turbo wich required a 4" inlet instead of the normal 3" that the kit normally comes with.

The downpipe was very snug during the install but was very easy to remove after everything was adjusted. The lower downpipe was very close to the bellhousing which touched every now and then, since then Jesse made a minor dimple that corrected this issue.¬* I opted to wrap the downpipe for added protection against burned wires.¬* My initial experience of wires catching fire was not because of the downpipe itself but because I had a breather off the valve cover initially which dripped oil onto the headers which caused a fire ¬* I changed that, and now have a sealed cap with a line running to a catch can.¬* No more fires, no more burnt wires.

Of all the single kits I have seen to date, I would still choose PTS.
    Brad S Taylor

7. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

True, I have experienced some part throttle issues, whether the position of the MAF is the culprit or not is yet to be determined. If a person was planning to go with a standalone, this would not be an issue.
    If your maf/bypass configuration exactly the same as the picture, i can see why you're having part throttle drivability issues.
    Point the discharge of the bypass directly at the back of the turbo and your problems should be eliminated.
    You're probably getting some revesion through the maf.
    www.themustangshop.ca<br />Stagnant Novi blown 1988 GT<br />2002 lincoln LS<br />Please do not PM me work related questions on this board.&nbsp; Email me at Matt@themustangshop.ca

8. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

I don't really think the position is my issue. The car has excellent throttle response when the tweecer is bypassed. Its only when you introduce the tune that part throttle response becomes less responsive.
    Brad S Taylor

9. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

I don't really think the position is my issue.¬* The car has excellent throttle response when the tweecer is bypassed. Its only when you introduce the tune that part throttle response becomes less responsive.
    If you are sure, then I think your tweecer is fucked cause I recall trying an unchanged tune as well with just the WOT tweeced and you weren't happy with that either....so how can there be a difference??

You could try mine if you like....

10. Default Re: Turbo Companies/Kits Comments/Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomak
    If you are sure, then I think your tweecer is fucked cause I recall trying an unchanged tune as well with just the WOT tweeced and you weren't happy with that either....so how can there be a difference??

You could try mine if you like....
    Well if you recall the first time I brought it to you with that nasty tune,¬* the first thing you did was turn off the tweecer just to see how the car ran.¬* Instantly it had excellent throttle response.¬* But once we plugged a tune in the part throttle response diminished.¬* You got the car to run fairly well but it still lacks good throttle response.¬* I to think the Tweecer is fucked.¬* I'm not too concerned with it right now as winter is here.¬* I'm seriously considering that¬* chip Matt sells along with that AVC-R boost controller. A cost effective alternative to a standalone.
    Brad S Taylor