Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Default Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Well one of the tensioners on my GTP ceased up and now I cant run the S/C. The car still runs fine...Idles good and has good foot responce. It is fairly gutless now compared to what it used to be.

My question... Will it cause any damage to anyhting if I keep running the car like this? The tensioner that ceased is built into the water pump and I really cant afford to fix the car right now...Damn school and 50% UI checks. The charger still spins a little bit when the revs are around 2500+ but when it is idling it doesnt not spin at all. I just want to know if it is safe to drive like this untill I can fix it.

The tensioner has a big bolt in the middle of the pulley...Can you change out the pulley and replace the bearings on that unit?
    1999 Ford Ranger. Looking for complete MAF 5.0/T5 for a swap

2. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

The pulley is not part of the water pump.
    The little idler just above the a/c compressor is on a little pillar that bolts on with 3 bolts. (15mm socket)
    The tensioner for the s/c is held on to a 8" stud by a nut (needs a 13mm or 12pt 1/2).
    I haven't tried sourcing an aftermarket pulley, but I'd imagine that crappy tire would have 1.
    If you need the whole tensioner assy, I found out gregg's distributors carries a line of tensioners. You might find one for a whole lot cheaper than oem, and it'll likley be made by the same supplier.

As for running without a belt, I can't think of any issues that would arrise.
    Essentionally, the engine allready runs with the air that runs through the bypass valve whenever you're not making boost.
    You should get really good mpg, but only about 110hp. (you'll get smoked by any n/a 3800)

The reason that the s/c spins at higher rpms, is that the engine cannot suck enough air through that little hole and the vacuumn (sp?) in the manifold pulls air in through the rotors.

Ps. What trade are you taking?

3. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

I sort of skipped over a few points;

Yes you can change the pulley separately.
    You can just purchase the bearing, make sure it has the same clearance so it can handle the rpms.

I don't recommend changing the bearing in a plastic pulley, you can damage the little lip that holds the bearing in when you drive the old bearing out.

If you're planning to do some mods later, zzp sells 8 rib tensioner pulleys.

Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Old Guy
    The pulley is not part of the water pump.
    The little idler just above the a/c compressor is on a little pillar that bolts on with 3 bolts. (15mm socket)
    The tensioner for the s/c is held on to a 8" stud by a nut (needs a 13mm or 12pt 1/2).
    I haven't tried sourcing an aftermarket pulley, but I'd imagine that crappy tire would have 1.
    If you need the whole tensioner assy, I found out gregg's distributors carries a line of tensioners. You might find one for a whole lot cheaper than oem, and it'll likley be made by the same supplier.

As for running without a belt, I can't think of any issues that would arrise.
    Essentionally, the engine allready runs with the air that runs through the bypass valve whenever you're not making boost.
    You should get really good mpg, but only about 110hp. (you'll get smoked by any n/a 3800)

The reason that the s/c spins at higher rpms, is that the engine cannot suck enough air through that little hole and the vacuumn (sp?) in the manifold pulls air in through the rotors.

Ps. What trade are you taking?

Im taking my 3rd year electrician school.

I have some pictures of the problem. As you can see the bearing is still on there but the pulley is gone...Must have shot off to somewhere.

That pulley is stationary and does not move to keep tension...It is just there.

All that oil in the pictures is from my desperate attempts to make it stop squealing before it finally siezed...A few different types of spray oils built up there haha.

There also looks to be alot of heat damage...I from the first picture, it looks like there is a crack around the base of the bracket.

5. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Go to C.T. and pick up the 3.5" pulleys and the 3" ribbed pulley all in metal. Don't get the damn plastic ones . I replaced all my pulleys to metal and oversized the tensioner for under $100.00.
    99 GTP, CAI, 72mm TB, P&P M90 blower, Intercooled, P&P LIM, 3.0" pulley, 1.8 RR's, P&P manis, 42# injectors Magnaflow 3" exhaust, Overkill PCM, Powerslot brake upgrade w/ Hawk pads, BMR suspension upgrade, Eibachs, KYB struts, 18" MM Action II wheels

6. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Um, there is no pulley there. You are looking at the bearing and the torx bolt that holds it on. The pulley has broken apart and is not attatched to the bearin anymore. You can replace that by itself. You will need I believe a T-50 torx bit.
    3800 V6, Precision billet 6262 turbo and PT-1001 Intercooler
    10.007@135.54 with 1.468 60'

Well ya there is no pulley there

The bearing is siezed and the pulley went shooting off while i was driving...I heard a loud *tink* from under the hood then all the sudden no boost.

You think a place like NAPA or partsource would have those? I dont really want to goto the dealer and get it...parts are expensive from there.

8. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Yup, canadian tire or napa. They are universal pulleys. There are different sizes so make sure they give you the right one. That would be the smooth idler pulley, not the smooth tensioner pulley, they are different sizes.
    3800 V6, Precision billet 6262 turbo and PT-1001 Intercooler
    10.007@135.54 with 1.468 60'

9. Default Re: Is it ok to drive without the S/C belt on?

Quote Originally Posted by tntss
    Go to C.T. and pick up the 3.5" pulleys and the 3" ribbed pulley all in metal. Don't get the damn plastic ones . I replaced all my pulleys to metal and oversized the tensioner for under $100.00.
    It is OK to run without the belt...but pretty weak HP...but don't forget the quote above when you are buying. Don't put back on the plastic grenade again...

Yeaits been fixed for quite some time now. I ended up buying a new steel pulley from a GM dealership because all the other pulleys i found at other stores didnt have new bearings pressed in them.