Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions?

1. Default Re: Any suggestions?

I put together a quote that is kind of pushing the limits givin to me. The guy is flexable, but I dont want to sell him on something that is not nescesary so please chime in if I included stuff that can be removed. One concern I have is the power level this engine can handle in stock form. There is no point in porting heads and doing a cam if the Magnum power system can do over 300 RWHP by itself and that is the safe limit of the engine.

I guess the thing is going to need an exhaust system as well..... I will post up the quote and go from there. If a few hundred bucks can be to be spent over and above for great gains then that is managable.

Thanks again,

Martin
    <br /> &quot;Come on baby....Just the Tip&quot;

2. Default Re: Any suggestions?

Well that showed up weird. I changed it to a PDF file and the total column split and went to the second page. Anyways, I think it will still make sense.

3. Default Re: Any suggestions?

roflmao... I thought the same thing..

WTF is Martin asking for advice on building a 5.0 mustang coupe lol...

4. Default Re: Any suggestions?

I sent you a big PM . . . I hope it went through if not let me know and I will redo it.

There is some room for inprovement there . . . the long and the short of it, the MPIII will not lead to good results through the stock IC. Oh and the car comes with 30# injectors already.

Dave
    90 Cougar XR-7, fully loaded,5 Speed<br /><br /><br />Internally Stock, 280,000 KMS, 4100 lbs, 13&#039;s&nbsp; . . . not bad.

5. Default Re: Any suggestions?

I was gonna reply at work yesterday, but it was time to go home. I agree with everything Dave's said.
    -The stock suspension is really good from the get go. If the owner wants to firm it up a bit you can get polyurethane bushings for it.
    -As far as the motor is concerned...a new cam (I've got mine from Comp), work the heads and port match the intake manifold. Put a set of head studs in there (long story, use the ones for a chev 2.3L).
    -Exhaust is mandatory! The exhaust manifolds can be ported, but only do the collector as the individual primaries are fine the way they are. Most people go with dual 2 1/2" into a single 3" (around the gas tank) and back into 2 1/2". Mufflers where needed.
    -A bigger MAF and throttle body are good, but not always necessary. As far as intakes go...I'm not a big fan of the "in the fender" style some places are selling. I've got a conical filter right on the MAF, and will be making a heat shield for it this spring.
    -If the owner doesn't want to spend too much on the blower, I can rebuild it for ya. New bearings, seals, and porting if wanted. PM for details. The MPIII setup from Magnum Powers is pricy, but they are the most efficient when over driven. Over drive the blower as much as the intercooler will be able to cool the air down. I've got a 7% pulley on mine.
    -The stock i/c isn't all that great, a front mount will make a BIG difference.
    -Superchips makes compatible chips as that's what most SC owners are running. Stay away from the EEC Tuner boards.
    -Nitrous is always fun, but be sure it's setup properly.

Dave's been running his car hard for quite a while, and just this season I've caught up to him. Check my sig...stock suspension with nothing more than bolt-ons.
    1989 Thunderbird SC<br />280hp &amp; 392 ft/lbs with a 50hp N20 shot

6. Default Re: Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by YYC TBird SC
    I was gonna reply at work yesterday, but it was time to go home. I agree with everything Dave's said.
    -The stock suspension is really good from the get go. If the owner wants to firm it up a bit you can get polyurethane bushings for it.
    -As far as the motor is concerned...a new cam (I've got mine from Comp), work the heads and port match the intake manifold. Put a set of head studs in there (long story, use the ones for a chev 2.3L).
    -Exhaust is mandatory! The exhaust manifolds can be ported, but only do the collector as the individual primaries are fine the way they are. Most people go with dual 2 1/2" into a single 3" (around the gas tank) and back into 2 1/2". Mufflers where needed.
    -A bigger MAF and throttle body are good, but not always necessary. As far as intakes go...I'm not a big fan of the "in the fender" style some places are selling. I've got a conical filter right on the MAF, and will be making a heat shield for it this spring.
    -If the owner doesn't want to spend too much on the blower, I can rebuild it for ya. New bearings, seals, and porting if wanted. PM for details. The MPIII setup from Magnum Powers is pricy, but they are the most efficient when over driven. Over drive the blower as much as the intercooler will be able to cool the air down. I've got a 7% pulley on mine.
    -The stock i/c isn't all that great, a front mount will make a BIG difference.
    -Superchips makes compatible chips as that's what most SC owners are running. Stay away from the EEC Tuner boards.
    -Nitrous is always fun, but be sure it's setup properly.

Dave's been running his car hard for quite a while, and just this season I've caught up to him. Check my sig...stock suspension with nothing more than bolt-ons.
    Thanks for the additional info. I am an SCT custom tuner so I have the tune covered. I guess I will have to re-do this quote. The problem is that if we want to do the heads/cam, then anything after that gets tight, and there seems to be not enough money left to do the supporting stuff. It would be in the budget to spend big on the blower and a front mount, and all the supporting mods, but then the engine would be stock. It is kind of a catch 22 on this darn thing. I will call the guy and see if he has 8gs to drop on this thing then everything would be good, if not it would probably be best to just spend 4 grand or so to do the bolt on upgrades for now.

Thanks again guys.

7. Default Re: Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Vroy

And yes it does sound like you need more torque. Why do you think Toma is so fast. It ain't max hp it is the area under the curve.

I disagree with a lot of what you said. But I am happy to let people make their own mistakes and learn from them.

Haha...you have been reading too much internet bullshit, torque is not always the answer, and if you knew Toma you wouldn't have said that.
    Brad S Taylor
    RE/MAX Realty Professionals
    Email: bradtaylor@realtybybrad.com
    Mobile: 403.703.1508
    Office: 403.259.4141

Default Re: Any suggestions?

Below is a list of my mods and I made a whopping 247RWHP. If I were to do it again I would do heads, cam and blower and put down about 350rwhp with an auto.

MP 10% Crank Pulley
    5% Jackshaft
    A/C Delete
    JLT CAI
    BHJ Balancer
    MPIII Supercharger
    42LB Injectors
    Ported Heads
    Custom Blower Top
    Custom NPR FMIC
    Snow Performance Methanol Kit
    2.5" to 3" to 2.5" Exhaust
    Magnaflow Mufflers and Resonator
    Ported Exhaust Manifolds
    ARP Head Studs
    255Lph Fuel Pump
    PP 75mm TB
    C&L 76mm MAF
    Autolite 103's
    Taylor Wires
    Kirban AFPR
    Solid Motor Mounts
    SCT Tune By David Dalke

Drivetrain
    Modifications: Motive 3:73 Gears
    Lentech "Street Bruiser" AOD
    2500-2700rpm 9.5" Non Locking Converter
    Lentech Valve Body w/OD Delete
    Solid Tranny Mount

Best time 13.01@100.5mph for the T-Bird SC - SOLD
    Best ET 11.010 Best MPH 124 for the 2.3L Mustang - Parted Out
    Best ET 8.46 Best MPH 160 for the 80mm SBE 5.3L Mustang

Lot's of information here. The support net is in place for him. I would trust what all the boys said in here. (Except Vroy, wtf are you talking about dude?)

Tell him to sign up at www.sccoa.com and do some digging for his own.

Just some random tidbits from me:
    - The best bang dollar modifications is exhaust, do not cheap out here. Port the exhaust manifolds, 2.5" into 3" into 2.5" back is the best proven combo. Search on the sccoa.com for more information. Steve Sept did mine
    - A cheap Intercooler fan will prevent the intercooler from becoming heatsoaked
    - If its a manual, under drive pulleys
    - If you are using a stock 89-93 Supercharger 5% OD AFTER the exhaust is done
    - Note that 89-93 SC's have an 'older' style supercharger & 30 pound injectors, 94-95 SC's have a 'newer' style supercharger and #36 pound injectors
    - If you really want to wake this car up heads/cam is a must. XR7 Dave is currently the best contact for this. Other sources would include:
    http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
    http://www.moranav6racing.com/
    - Make sure the car is in good running condition before you fuck with it. (headgaskets, motor mounts, various sensors, balancer)
    - As per supercharger debate I would suggest a Magnasum S-Port from with Magnum Powers inlet plenum if he has stock heads/cam. If he does heads/cam a MPx Combo or A/R ($$$).
    - Factor in the 'supporting modifications' such as the fuel system and tune.
    - When the car is apart buy some paint and clean the engine bay, shiney rules
    - We are a team here, as such if you need parts or advice give us a shout before you talk to any vendor
    - YYC Bird is an MN12 grease monkey. He's done everything atleast 3 times.

Here is some vendor links to save you time.

www.lentechautomatics.com <- if he has an AOD
    www.sccoa.com <- information full, contact XR7 Dave there for heads & cam, C&L Meters, tuning tips or A/R (whipple) kits
    www.spinningwheels-sc.com <- vendor, great prices, good service, just be prepared to talk for awhile
    www.supercoupeperformance.com <- vendor
    www.magnumpowers.com <-The offical site for MP gear, everything induction
    www.buyfordracing.com <- source of cheap 42 Pound green tops, gears, Ford Racing stuff
    www.sccowc.com <- local hang out, kinda quite there
    www.tccoa.com <- has some good tech articals

I'll leave you will a picture of my loud, shiney, slow engine bay.
    Project: Blue Steel (91 Thunderbird SC)

Quote Originally Posted by AFI Performance
    It would be in the budget to spend big on the blower and a front mount, and all the supporting mods, but then the engine would be stock. It is kind of a catch 22 on this darn thing. I will call the guy and see if he has 8gs to drop on this thing then everything would be good, if not it would probably be best to just spend 4 grand or so to do the bolt on upgrades for now.
    Welcome to the bane of my life. Try to break the project up into different stages:

1) Exhaust, Headgaskets, ARP Headstuds, Motor Mounts, Other 'Maintaince', 5% SC OD, U/D Pulleys, I/C Fan (20-30HP)
    2) Magnum Powers Power Package #1 (Expect the price to fall by a further $200 on this), Fuel Pump, Injectors, C&L Meter (Chip+Tune if it runs like shit) (30-40 HP)
    3) FMIC, More O/D! (20-40 HP)
    4) Heads/Cam, Chip+Tune (40-Lots HP)

Well, good luck!
    Project: Blue Steel (91 Thunderbird SC)