Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermitent no start... wtf?

1. Default Intermitent no start... wtf?

Every couple starts, I turn the key, and nothin'... no crank, lotsa battery etc... (so I dont think it the actual ingition switch)

Sometimes I try afew times, and it starts.... othertimes nothin for hours, then all of a sudden it starts.

wtf?

Any common issues with th e 94 tbirds in regards to this?

Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Neutral safety switch acting up......Had that once on the stang

Loose cables on starter..........seen that b4 on other vehicles

Bad starter solenoid....if it uses one like the mustangs, or is it incorporated in the starter

Dirty clutch interlock switch if its a standard......just did mine

Bad contacts on battery....
    83TTOP

First thing to do is check for power at the solonoid terminal,sounds like the starter is going.
    It's a 2.3 turbo...honest

4. Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    First thing to do is check for power at the solonoid terminal,sounds like the starter is going.
    Yeah... that's what i figured.... Just avoiding crawling under that thing.

While under there, I could check continuity on the neutral safety when it wont start...

Was lazy (cause it was cold), took it to a shop, and the fucking thing refused to NOT start

does that have one of the solenoids mounted up on the fender well?
    next time it does it just jump the solenoid with a screwdriver
    just a thought
    Ford---at least they circle the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Toma K
    Was lazy (cause it was cold), took it to a shop....
    [quote author=Jasen link=topic=46960.msg393542#msg393542 date=1193760855]<br />I am excited to get my 08 Harley Edition Super Duty. The 6.4L Bi Turbo excites me, and from what I hear from previous Super Duty Owners that have made the leap to the 08&#039;s is that they are a better truck in every aspect....&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

7. Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Toma...I noticed the same thing with mine a couple years ago. Once in a while it would take a few turns of the key to get it to turn over. Get a new solenoid or start carrying a screwdriver to jump it. If it's a standard...just give it a push and pop the clutch.
    1989 Thunderbird SC<br />280hp &amp; 392 ft/lbs with a 50hp N20 shot

8. Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by YYC TBird SC
    Toma...I noticed the same thing with mine a couple years ago. Once in a while it would take a few turns of the key to get it to turn over. Get a new solenoid or start carrying a screwdriver to jump it. If it's a standard...just give it a push and pop the clutch.
    Where the fuck is the solenoid? I could not see it, so I assumed it was on the starter?

9. Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Stupid question but did the car ever have an alarm! That's what happened to me! Weird symptoms! I checked everything over and everything was fine, then I took it to Jesse and the old starter kill was engaging every now and again, spliced it through then it was perfect

10. Default Re: Intermitent no start... wtf?

Toma,

Locate hood release on driver's side kick panel and pull it,
    Open hood by releasing the catch located just above the passenger side head light,
    Notice the battery in the front drivers corner?
    Look behind the battery and next to the power distribution box,
    Voila! Solenoid!

*EDIT* Now that I think about it...if it's not there, that may be your problem.
    1989 Thunderbird SC<br />280hp &amp; 392 ft/lbs with a 50hp N20 shot