Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 700 r4?

Default Question on 700 r4?

Mark, Nolan, and everyone else. I am getting a Raptor 700 Mega Tranny from PATC. It is the 4wd option. Do I have to use the Stock Ty Valve Body? Any other problems known. My Tranny was in high Worn out condition and is at Dad's Tran. in Lethbridge. I have asked for it to be boxed as I'll save what is still good as extras. I ordered a #5 Convertor as well (3000 stall). Darned expensive to get it all here, but caught between rock and hardplace. Ron at dads does not flush out Convertors and I don't want to do all this and have the convertor seize from whatever might float about. LMK... Thanks.....Paul30
    Home of a Typhoon,  Pretty Quick Astre(Vega),  looked after by a very Fast 60 footer.."Belgium Malinois".

Default Re: Question on 700 r4?

Why would you have to change the valvebody from the one the transmission comes with?
    "Is that Fuel injection or turbo?"

I would spend the money and replace the converter and the tranny cooler.
    I have a problem I see Mustangs and I think "Hello there".

Quote Originally Posted by 82 rustang
    I would spend the money and replace the converter and the tranny cooler.
    I would for sure flush the transmission cooler, probably wouldn't replace it.
    "Is that Fuel injection or turbo?"

The only reason I say replace is I have heard of pieces getting stuck when hot in the cooler and not getting out on a flush . Then when tranny gets nice an hot it runs through the system.
    I have a problem I see Mustangs and I think "Hello there".

Someone on the Sy/Ty board informed me that they have a unique v.b. (TY) and I should switch it I'm not sold on this, but threw it out for comments. I do have a new convertor, so I will go with it, and probably a new cooler as well. Thanks for your thoughts....Paul30
    Home of a Typhoon,  Pretty Quick Astre(Vega),  looked after by a very Fast 60 footer.."Belgium Malinois".

They have a unique valve body, but it's not as easy as just switching it. The converter is no off the shelf piece in the truck and I doubt the converter you are getting is going to be right. I told you not to change the converter...............we can have that one cleaned out.

I told you all this stuff already.
    89 Mustang Coupe
    SBF - single plate nitrous system
    26x8.5's (1/8 mile) 5.16 @ 139 mph

When I went to the Trans. shop I had no Idea there would be such a high cost to fix it. $ 2500. for a status quo rebuild (added in a recommended shift kit) prompted me to make an entirely different decision. Though Very expensive I decided to go for a Raptor Mega 700 @ #5 convertor..3000 stall,... to over ride more Transmission Problems and maybe I'd finally have what I thought I had bought in the first place. I will keep all parts of old one for future. Thanks for comments.....Paul30

I seriously doubt that you will be happy with the raptor double throw down triple chrome fany shmansy ridiculously overpriced tranny.

Nolan and I spent many a trans r&r and convertor restall to get the recipe juuuuust right for these trucks. From the symptoms that you describe I bet that all your tranny needed was a new band and reverse input drum.

It already had all the right parts in it, no question there. Sytys are hard on trannys, really hard, get used to a rebuild every once in awhile. They make a shitpile of torque down low, weigh far too much and are all wheel drive. Bad recipe to make a trans live. Again get used to it.

So what are you going to do when this long distance tranny doesn't shift right, doesn't have the correct stall speed, won't do a wot 3/4 shift and burns another band? I hope you get a good deal on R&Rs and shipping, that trans will spend alot of time in transit.

Look I'm not trying to rag on you but it annoys me when people ask advice then go out in left field with a solution then piss and moan about the results on the forums asking why they wasted thier money. Been around sytys a very long time, built many a tranny for them. Never had one "blow up" had a few need a freshen though. Just part of the fun of a syty.

Tony
    1991 GMC Syclone<br />10.71@126<br /><br />1993 GMC Typhoon<br />Garnet/Grey, maybe for sale

Hey Paul, want to sell the old trans?
    1997 SS (V6 with 90 shot) 304 HP 379 TQ-Best ET 12.9-Best MPH 103mph
    1985 Sonoma (AFR headed 355) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 101.79
    1991 Syclone #1907 (Stockish) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 96
    1991 Syclone #0106 Sold
    1991 Syclone #0457 (LS swapped, single turbo, 8.5 caged) Build begins 2013
    1992 Typhoon #1020 BeaterTy.