Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals, Sept 5,6,7 2008

Default 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals, Sept 5,6,7 2008

Here's the link to the syty.net thread

And here's the copy and paste of it.

THE EVENT: 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals.
    WHERE: Castrol Raceway
    Track is located just south of Edmonton, off Highway 2, two miles west on the south-side of Highway 19, adjacent to the Edmonton International Airport
    This track is the Home of the IHRA Rocky Mountain Nationals
    WHEN: Friday, September 5 Sunday, September 7, 2008
    WHO: Everyone with an interest in these demanding little trucks.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 5 @ CASTROL RACEWAY (JB'S POWER CENTRE STREET LEGAL)
    -Time between 5-11PM
    -Everyone is welcome whether you are racing or not, we will all pit together even if those not racing. Cambell Automotive and Ace Manufacturing have 2 very large pits beside the staging lines.
    -Drivers $25 Spectators $10 Under 12 Free
    -After the races we have to go on the annual cruise around town to lay some smack down.
    -I will have the shirts and hoodies with me.
    -The street legals usually have 100+ cars racing, and at least that in spectators.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6 @ CASTROL RACEWAY
    -This weekend is a regular bracket race weekend at the track so there will be a lot of spectators and some pretty good drag racing to watch.
    - We will be sharing the track with the bracket racers, but we will have our own (Syclone and Typhoon) class. $50 per car and driver.
    -Sorry but racing is limited to Syclone's and Typhoon's only.
    -The gates will open at 8am, tech will start about 8:30am, test and tune at 10am.
    -This is an IHRA sanctioned track so all IHRA rules apply.
    -Car show, so if you don't want to race, polish up you truck and bring it to the show for $20 including admission. Those with out trucks are welcome as well. $20/Adult and $10/Youth and 12 and under are free.
    -Also, the staff at Castrol Raceway is great, they delay the tree a few seconds to allow us to build boost at the starting line.
    -Please reply to this thread if you are coming and whether you will be racing or not.
    -There will be a BBQ and drinks after the track at my place which is just down the highway from the track. You can pm or email me for directions but most of you can just follow me there from the track. Dinner will be $10 per person, We will supply the pop, but BYOB, will will stop by the Beer store on the way from the track to my place.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
    This day can be optional.......I'm thinking meet for breakfast or the 100 foot drag race in Lacombe (south of Edmonton) that starts a 9:00 am, we can vote about it on Saturday.
    We've gone to some of these before and they are pretty fun.

http://www.grovecruise.ca/shootout.html

OTHER INFO:-There are many hotels within minutes of the track, the Executive Royal Inn is very nice as well as one of the closest. And the Western Budget is only a couple years old, quite inexpensive and just as close to the track.

THE TRACK:
    Castrol Raceway is reputed to be one of the top 10 small track facilities in North America. The following will give a breakdown of the various amenities and services we have to offer.
    The mile IHRA sanctioned dragstrip
    The 3/8 mile Clay Oval Track
    660 ft. concrete launch pad area (thickness: 8 inches)
    Control uses Chrondek Timing System and electronic scoreboards
    Compulink computerized system featuring infrared sensors
    Large drag pit area will hold apx. 450 competitors, the pit area is grass and asphalt road crush
    Showers and washrooms in the drag pit area
    Camping available on site
    $1 Million Dollar track upgrade done last spring
    10-Acre Full Pro Motocross Track
    2.7 km Road course (under construction)
    A Mini- Sprint Cart track
    A $75,000.00 Playground
    Beverage service building with walk-in cooler
    Full concourse washroom facilities
    Full Control tower restroom facilities
    Permanent grandstands (8500 Drag / 3500 Oval)
    5 portable grandstands (each holds 500 seats)
    Eighteen- (1 Private Drag Sky Suites
    Twenty- (20) Private Oval Skyboxes
    TRACK RECORD: Top Fuel - Clay Millican 4.540@325.69
    TRACK ELEVATION: 2,200 above sea level

TEE'S AND HOODIES:
    T Jay is still working on the logo (and it's a good one) we will post it up as soon as it's finished
    -Tees $30
    -Hoodies $55

If you have any questions at all, about any part of the event ask away!
    93 GMC TYPHOON

Default Re: 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals, Sept 5,6,7 2008

Hell, I might even wander up to this.
    Officer, I can't shut the car off right now. I need to turbo time this shit, it's probably fuckin' glowing.

ALLLLRIGHT!
    Thanks for setting the date Cam. We appreciate all the work that you guys put into this every year.
    1997 SS (V6 with 90 shot) 304 HP 379 TQ-Best ET 12.9-Best MPH 103mph
    1985 Sonoma (AFR headed 355) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 101.79
    1991 Syclone #1907 (Stockish) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 96
    1991 Syclone #0106 Sold
    1991 Syclone #0457 (LS swapped, single turbo, 8.5 caged) Build begins 2013
    1992 Typhoon #1020 BeaterTy.

IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!
    1997 SS (V6 with 90 shot) 304 HP 379 TQ-Best ET 12.9-Best MPH 103mph
    1985 Sonoma (AFR headed 355) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 101.79
    1991 Syclone #1907 (Stockish) Best ET 13.6-Best MPH 96
    1991 Syclone #0106 Sold
    1991 Syclone #0457 (LS swapped, single turbo, 8.5 caged) Build begins 2013
    1992 Typhoon #1020 BeaterTy.

The event was a blast even though the rain messed with us all weekend.

We had 10 trucks show up, less than expected but fun as hell!! This year we had lots of broken trucks not make it, but the owners made it out which is what it's really all about!

Friday night at the street legal races most of us got through tech before the rain came down and the race was canceled, but we stood in the bare parking lots for a couple hrs and talked truck, then headed for dinner and drinks.

Saturday morning was looking ok weather wise, but before we knew it, it was 4 or 5pm before we got our one and only round of passes down the track. Then we hearded to my place for beer, bbq and UFC on payper view........Jeff and Robyn lasted till 2-3am and Gord, Melissa and myself were up till 4:30 before called it quits.

The Campbell Automotive sponsored trophies went to
    Fastest Stock Truck - Gord (CalgarySS)
    Fastest Modified Truck - Steve
    Furthest Distance Driven - Jeff & Robyn (Ozrein)
    Best Appearing Truck - Cam (ME) I tried to tell Mark I didn't want to win it again.....

Even though we only got the one pass each down the track I was happy with my new motor and pump gas tune!

Here are the times, some good some bad, sorry Matt

Sorry guy post your time as i forgot to record them.........then i'll edit this!

Jeff
    Matt 16.47@83.90 (Matt's got some issues to work out )
    Jan no time, left way too early:lol:
    Justin
    Cam 12.96 @ 102
    Steve 11.02 @ 122.91

A BIG thanks to everyone that took the time time come out!!

Next year I'm revamping the event, I got some idea's and we'll see if we can get more trucks/owners to come out, we have waaayyy too many local or semi local trucks that don't come

Like usual I never took nearly enough pics, so here's what I got.......Please share your pics.

Notice Nolan showing me some love!

93 GMC TYPHOON

6. Default Re: 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals, Sept 5,6,7 2008

Where was the guy with the gun metal Zo6 Rims from Abbotsford?
    1996 Eclipse GSX<br />Full Apexi N1 turbo back exhaust.K&amp;N Intake,NGK wires and plugs,HKS BOV. - SOLD
    1994 Twin turbo Automatic supra - BPU dyno'd 360rwhp @ 11psi - SOLD
    1993 6speed Twin turbo supra - Cat-back exhaust, FMIC, under factory boost(9psi) and air filter - ran 13.77@105mph
    2005 subaru impreza - The Daily

He was there, I think he showed up after i took these pics, so did a couple more trucks.
    93 GMC TYPHOON

Is this happening again in 2009?

9. Default Re: 5th Annual Canadian Syclone & Typhoon Nationals, Sept 5,6,7 2008

I sure hope so, no date set as of yet
    1992 Gmc Typhoon #2384 (for sale) 1992 Gmc Typhoon #0245 1991 Gmc Syclone

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksix
    Is this happening again in 2009?

Yes, click the link------->http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70227
    93 GMC TYPHOON