Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with this site?

1. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by wjjeeper
    The spam is redonkulous. Why is it so hard to prevent on this site?
    Very old, very broken forum code.

EDIT: Here's the problem.
    Even the newest version of this forum software isn't that great, so ownership wants to switch. The problem with that is that it requires a lot of testing. A lot. So far we've been able to get it to the point where all attachments, avatars and passwords will disappear. That's pretty good considering what's been proposed. Combine that with the inability to find a solid host and we've got big delays.

2. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibz
    Very old, very broken forum code.

EDIT: Here's the problem.
    Even the newest version of this forum software isn't that great, so ownership wants to switch. The problem with that is that it requires a lot of testing. A lot. So far we've been able to get it to the point where all attachments, avatars and passwords will disappear. That's pretty good considering what's been proposed. Combine that with the inability to find a solid host and we've got big delays.
    I'm sure upgrading to the latest version is easier and more reliable then trying to convert.
    Brad S Taylor
    RE/MAX Realty Professionals
    Email: bradtaylor@realtybybrad.com
    Mobile: 403.703.1508
    Office: 403.259.4141

3. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

The SMF community is HUGE and their boards seem to run smooth and hassle free.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
    Brad S Taylor

4. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

When you change something drastically the end result is usually abandonment.
    Brad S Taylor

5. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by BradT
    I'm sure upgrading to the latest version is easier and more reliable then trying to convert.
    Easier? Absolutely. More reliable? It's spam that people are complaining about, not reliability. SMF has an army of moderators (and people to report posts). On smaller boards like this you need to be pro-active regarding spam.

The SMF community is HUGE and their boards seem to run smooth and hassle free.
    I run a larger board than theirs on phpBB2, doesn't mean it's good software. We still get our share of bots but, as mentioned above, we've got a much larger team of mods to take care of things.

When you change something drastically the end result is usually abandonment.
    The price you pay for modernization and security I suppose. SMF 2 has been in beta for almost an entire year and 1.1 does not offer the miracle spam cure that people seem to want. If it did then there would be no question, we'd go to it and everybody would be happy. Instead we're going to switch to a more secure, more widely used and therefore more quickly patched, forum software. I don't see why anybody would complain.

That said, it's not my call to make, I'm just presenting the reasoning that I have for supporting the switch.

6. Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck
    There is no moderation!!!!

Seeing 30 new threads, all spam, make this site look pretty terrible.

This is the only site that im on that seems to have problems.

Why cant any admin fix it?
    Notice any spam lately? I've started to ban the IP addresses, seems to have eliminated a lot.
    Brad S Taylor

Default Re: Whats wrong with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by CVS Performance
    You're a sick fuck Jason.....lol

(in best italian accent) why you no likea spam come on carlo eata your spam lika good boy!
    85 mustang gt , 92 vert the new family cruiser
    best et this far:9.21 147.5 mph ,castrol raceway, Treat each pass like the last!

nothin but a knuckle draggin cave man! YES I SELL NITROUS!

Notice any spam lately? I've started to ban the IP addresses, seems to have eliminated a lot.
    Yup, yesterday.
    "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it" - Einstein
    "They must find it difficult ... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey
    "What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace" - John Wesley
    "Additionally, I think using a .63 on a 35r turbine section is like fucking with just the tip of your dick." - Brian Wilson, The Tex

Yup...tons. lol

Quote Originally Posted by J5.0
    What happened to these "new owners" that were going to make this a better place?
    The 'new owners' run beyond.ca and other forums. With the ad revenue and publicity the other sites bring in there is no reason to dump time into performance-shop.com. Remember that our little p-shop is made up of about 40 hardcores and a couple visitors. Frankly I would love to see the site sold back to Brad so we can transfer it to a more interested party.

Brad from my short stop as moderator at beyond I can tell you the best way to eliminate the majority of spam but it'll require 1000's lines of input and some effort. Many IT administrators use this list to prevent attacks on their IT infrastructure but there is NO reason why it would not work for forums. Basically you would be blocking entire countries by their IP block. You can read more about it below.
    http://www.parkansky.com/china.htm

Project: Blue Steel (91 Thunderbird SC)