Thread: Camshaft Install Question

1. Default Camshaft Install Question

Hey guys, I have a question for the more experienced 2.3 guys. I just put in a new cam from Engel and new cam followers, I bought the head used and it has dual valve springs and "big" valves in it.

I was reading that you would need a tool to put the cam followers in. So I installed the cam, put the timing belt on (head was bolted to the motor) and I turned the motor over. While each cylinder was on it's base circle, I put the cam followers on. I didn't need a tool, the lifters were completely bleed and I managed to just press down on them and slid the follower in. Is this normal? When the cam is on the base circle there is a small amount of "wiggle" but it seems like the same amount of play as like a SBF roller rocker.

did the cam from engle require lifter shims ? Most of the the cams that are a reduced base circle cams require the lifters to be shimmed . Probally be worth the call to engle to check to see if the cam is a standard base circle cam or not . And usually if you need to shim the lifter you will require a wide groove lifter

HOLY haha didnt realize how old this was
    lol
    Last edited by merkmerc; 10-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    blacky .. NOW with an old leaky "B cam" 9`s on 17`s , 08 gsxr- 10.35@ 142,
    62 ford falcon rb25 daily
    88 merkur xr4ti tow rig
    93 stang ......soft tune up 7.3X for now...
    Nitrous doesnt kill pistons people do