Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NDP has made some big mistakes.

Don't worry, climate change will bring you nice profits in the years ahead. Canadians are already paying $8 for a head of cauliflower and $24 for a bag of almonds, just imagine what wheat prices will be like when America and Russia have droughts.

2. Default

You don't understand agriculture. If the farmer starts to make more money they just jack the cost of fertilizer, herbicide, and equipment. They keep us with just enough profit to survive but the price of food never goes down in the grocery store. In the last few years the profit in cattle has actually become much greater for me because I can grow my own feed so the big corporations have less control over my input costs. You may have noticed you can spend $20 on a good steak now at the grocery store because a lot of cattle producers didn't survive the post BSE years and now there is a shortage of beef in comparison.

I don't believe a single word of any of the global warming rhetoric . They can run around saying the science is settled , it doesn't mean a thing. All these green changes the NDP are doing is merely ideological in my opinion and will not serve the province. My hope is the NDP will get bounced in 3 years and we can get back to business. And for the record I agree the PC's needed bouncing out, I just wish the NDP's had a minority govt. then the opposition could keep a leash on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddychop View Post
    I don't believe a single word of any of the global warming rhetoric . They can run around saying the science is settled , it doesn't mean a thing. All these green changes the NDP are doing is merely ideological in my opinion and will not serve the province. My hope is the NDP will get bounced in 3 years and we can get back to business. And for the record I agree the PC's needed bouncing out, I just wish the NDP's had a minority govt. then the opposition could keep a leash on them.
    The current crap with global warming is whether its man made vs. part of a natural temperature increase. The world is warming up. Ok. Is it mans fault? I don't think so. 1 volcano, 1 major forest fire releases more CO2 than man does by a long way.
    The Earth has heated and cooled itself for as long as humans can go back and decipher. Temperature change is nothing new, and will continue long after we are gone. Its just an easy thing for politicians to use as a scape goat to push their own agenda, be it green or not.
    Trailblazer SS
    1960 Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Roddychop View Post
    You don't understand agriculture. If the farmer starts to make more money they just jack the cost of fertilizer, herbicide, and equipment. They keep us with just enough profit to survive but the price of food never goes down in the grocery store. In the last few years the profit in cattle has actually become much greater for me because I can grow my own feed so the big corporations have less control over my input costs. You may have noticed you can spend $20 on a good steak now at the grocery store because a lot of cattle producers didn't survive the post BSE years and now there is a shortage of beef in comparison.

I do understand the problems faced by farmers. They are the most important part of society and are treated like the least important. I still remember the old saying " If I won a million dollars, I would farm until it was all gone".

I believe farmers need to get away from companies like Monsantos, who develop the seed and then develop the herbicide. It is going to lead to a catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by stuvy View Post
    The current crap with global warming is whether its man made vs. part of a natural temperature increase. The world is warming up. Ok. Is it mans fault? I don't think so. 1 volcano, 1 major forest fire releases more CO2 than man does by a long way.
    The Earth has heated and cooled itself for as long as humans can go back and decipher. Temperature change is nothing new, and will continue long after we are gone. Its just an easy thing for politicians to use as a scape goat to push their own agenda, be it green or not.

You are very badly misinformed, if you would like me to take the time to explain why, I would be happy to do so. However I find that many people don't want their mind changed as they have some form of bias.

Quote Originally Posted by VROY View Post
    I do understand the problems faced by farmers. They are the most important part of society and are treated like the least important. I still remember the old saying " If I won a million dollars, I would farm until it was all gone".

I believe farmers need to get away from companies like Monsantos, who develop the seed and then develop the herbicide. It is going to lead to a catastrophe.

You are very badly misinformed, if you would like me to take the time to explain why, I would be happy to do so. However I find that many people don't want their mind changed as they have some form of bias.

Please explain to me how the planet earth hasn't had a series of easily traceable and identifiable periods of hot and cold climate changes. I would really love to see your thoughts on the natural cycle of the earths temperature cycles. From ice age to tropical and back over and over for millions of years. Unless you're one of those crazy fucks who thinks the world is 3000 years old and the dinosaurs are a hoax.
    Trailblazer SS
    1960 Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by stuvy View Post
    Please explain to me how the planet earth hasn't had a series of easily traceable and identifiable periods of hot and cold climate changes. I would really love to see your thoughts on the natural cycle of the earths temperature cycles. From ice age to tropical and back over and over for millions of years. Unless you're one of those crazy fucks who thinks the world is 3000 years old and the dinosaurs are a hoax.
    I'll answer the issues you addressed in your first post and then talk about the second.

The idea that Volcanoes release more CO2 than man has been promoted by a group supported by Koch industries. Koch is a huge producer of Coal
    The reality is that Volcanoes can release about 320 million tons of CO2 a year, and man releases 31 billion tons a year. Which is 100 times as much as volcanoes.
    Volcanoes also release global coolents, such as sulfur dioxide and dust.

You also asked about historic changes in the Earths climate. Things like Ice ages are caused by the fact that the Earth doesn't have a perfect orbit. Year after year the earth changes.
    Currently the Earth tilts toward the sun in the north American summer, but in 20 thousand years, it will actually be tilting away. There are many other factors that change in the Earths orbit,
    and when all these factors are combined, they are called a milankovitch cycles. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles )

Earth has also had periods where the CO2 level has been very high, such as in the age of the dinosaurs. This high CO2 level was cause by geographical upheaval. i.e. ( the creation of mountain rages )
    These high CO2 levels actually increased the temperature enough to allow forest to grow in the antarctic.

Historic changes in CO2 levels took thousand and thousands of years. Man has created a 40% increase in 200 years. If a person doubted the source of the CO2 they could examine it's isotopes C13 and C12.
    Plants have a preference of the lighter isotope, and since fossil fuels are basically plant material burning those feuls changes the ratio of the isotopes in the atmosphere.

CO2 doesn't comprise a large portion of our atmosphere, but it completely absorbs areas of the Infrared spectrum. The absorption and redirection of IR photons determines how much time that heat energy spends in the atmosphere.
    Without any CO2 the earth would be 30 degrees cooler. If man increased CO2 to a level of say 500 ppm, the Earth will be about 4 degrees hotter.

The results of that increase can be debated. Personally I believe a CO2 level of 450 may be perfect for Alberta. But increased CO2 levels weaken the Jet streams, and that is the reason that we can get rain in Jan, and the American seaboard can get 3 feet of snow. A slow jet stream meanders and allows cold air to travel south, and warm air to travel further north.

Man is supposed to be the steward of the planet. When CO2 hits the 500 level, every species around the equator is going to be in serious trouble. Elephants and Rhinos may become a thing of the past.

7. Default

I can google stuff too , but I'm not going to rewrite it to look smart

http://joannenova.com.au/2011/08/blo...ls-not-humans/

As to moving away from herbicide , are you available to pull weeds all summer for 5 cents an hour ? Because that's what I'd have to pay. I hope your back is good.

As soon as insults start, I am out of the discussion. Ciao.

9. Default

Notley is set to announce the oil royalty review today. It will be interesting to see if they make another bad decision on this and put more fear into the oil sector.....