Thread: Painting a replacement 2010 Ranger Rear bumper

Default Painting a replacement 2010 Ranger Rear bumper

Had an accident a year ago and bent my steel rear bumper a tad. Bought a new quality replacement online which comes in the standard primer black finish, ready for paint. Current bumper is gloss/semi-gloss black and relatively color matched to the truck.

What kind of product should I apply to this bumper? Should I just scotchbrite scuff and spray bomb it and if so, whose spray bomb product is best? I've got a 4 stage fuji turbine hvlp systems with 1.2 and 1.3 tips that I use for shooting spray stains and lacquer on woodworking projects and have been told its suitable for smaller automotive jobs. Should I be looking at an arcylic enamel or along those lines? Its been 20 years since I've shot any automotive paint, so my knowledge of whats current in the auto finish space is pretty lacking. Any suggestions on durable product I can apply?

Thanks!
    CC

Well, sadly, my '08 Ranger has had the rear bumper replaced three times (and I was at a standstill two of the three, the other, just rolling at a walking pace
    Anyways, when it was in the last time, we were surprised at how bad the backside had rusted in only two years since the last one, so on the last replacement, they undercoated the backside before hanging the bumper.
    As far as paint, if you don't want to mess with cleaning guns, etc, Endura (and possibly others by now) now have 2K (ie: catylized) spray bombs. So, you could buy one of primer/sealer, and one of colour, and still end up with a pretty durable finish. But I'm not a big fan of air dry (uncatylized) products, or their durability.....

http://www.endura.ca/spray.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
    Well, sadly, my '08 Ranger has had the rear bumper replaced three times (and I was at a standstill two of the three, the other, just rolling at a walking pace
    Anyways, when it was in the last time, we were surprised at how bad the backside had rusted in only two years since the last one, so on the last replacement, they undercoated the backside before hanging the bumper.
    As far as paint, if you don't want to mess with cleaning guns, etc, Endura (and possibly others by now) now have 2K (ie: catylized) spray bombs. So, you could buy one of primer/sealer, and one of colour, and still end up with a pretty durable finish. But I'm not a big fan of air dry (uncatylized) products, or their durability.....

http://www.endura.ca/spray.html
    I've got the 3M PPS system setup on my fuji gun so cleanups are really trivial. And yeah, even the solvent based laquers I spray on wood projects are catalyzed. Light coats are tack free in tens of seconds - great in my garage shop with no proper paint booth.

Where can I source endura products in Calgary?

http://www.endura.ca/distributors/alberta.html

Also used to be available through Acklands Grainger Auto Body, not even sure if they're still doing A/B supplies??

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
    http://www.endura.ca/distributors/alberta.html

Also used to be available through Acklands Grainger Auto Body, not even sure if they're still doing A/B supplies??
    What about POR-15 for the backside? I've heard its super durable, just not UV resistant.

Some ding dong drove into my super duty front bumper which is painted black. I found a straight chrome bumper on kijiji and had it wrapped in gloss black vinyl at Raven truck accessories for 200$. (I took it in loose). I’m not going to say it is an exact match, and I’m not going to say it is as good as paint but my truck is a work truck and I’m pretty certain you would have to look to tell the difference.

I suspect wrapping the bumper will match about as good as spraying the bumper. But maybe not.
    Last edited by SN95GT; 11-08-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added some details.
    2014 F-350 Platinum Scorpion
    2014 Can-Am XMR 650
    2012 Honda Odyssey
    2014 SRT Viper